Image Map

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tell me something tuesday #3


Tell me something Tuesday is a weekly meme, hosted by Cambria Hebert, in which she asks us something, and we post our answer. And the question of the week is:

Do you usually like the book better than the movie or the movie better than the book? What is your favorite book to movie adaptation you have ever seen?


I won't deny it: movies do not appeal to me as much as books do. In the movies, we're watching the characters struggle through something, emotions flickering across the actors' faces, but yet, we don't get to know them. In the books, the narration makes it possible for us to experience their emotions, see what they're thinking, their hopes, their guesses. It feels much more real than a movie ever could. However, I love watching a movie adaptation of a book I've read (if it's well done). 

Taking Percy Jackson, for example. I watched the movie first, and I loved it so much I had to buy and read the whole series. And now I can't watch Percy Jackson without hating it, because they altered so many things from the book that it doesn't look the same story. It's like the background is the same, the characters' name are the same, but the plot is different, the essence of the movie is different, the villain is different (where the hell is Chronos in the movie? Baking some cookies in the Underworld? He's not even mentioned)... They totally ruined the book D: 

 
On the other hand, I absolutely detest The Vampire Diaries books, and I love the series. L.J Smith wanted to create so many twists that it was bizarre. Elena's like a shapeshifter, seriously. She's a happy cheerleader, then she's an emo vampire, then she's a moody ghost, a human with angelic powers and a pure soul, then she's ol' Elena again... I mean, it's ridiculous! Not that I love Elena Dobrev in the series, but she's fine. She manages to look both vulnerable and strong most times, and I like that in her acting. 





 
My favorite book to movie adaptation? I have to say The Lord of the Rings. After reading the book - it was quite recently, actually - I watched the move all over again. It's fantastic! The lines are identical, Tolkien's writing is full of details that made me picture the scene in the movie just like it was portrayed. Tolkien's a genius. If the second and third movies are as faithful to his original work as the first one, I ought to like the books. No, I ought to love it. I'm particularly excited to see more of Legolas. He's my favorite character, but not much is said about him in the movies. 

So, to sum it all up pretty fast, I think it depends on the book/movie, how good the author's writing and plot is, and if in the movie, it's better to fall in line or make up your own story. Overall, though, I prefer books. Like I said in the beginning, there's nothing better than knowing a character with your heart. What about you? Do you like the movie, or the book better?

5 comments:

  1. Great choices and I couldn't agree with you more on the Percy Jackson series, fabulous series (and the spin off one too!), horrid movie! They even got some of the characters appearances wrong, really wrong. How hard could it be to at least get that right?
    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? It couldn't be so difficult to Annabeth to be blond in the movie -_-

      Delete
  2. Girlllll you had me with the Vampire Diaries!!!! I LOVE that series! LOVE IT. lol. But, when I tried to read the book I couldn't.... maybe the series ruined it for me. BUt I agree about Elena on the show. She's okay but she isn't my favorite. I yell at her alot while I watch and i tend to tell her she's stupid for not jumping Damon's bones... but that's just me. lol.

    I liked the Percy Jackson movie but I didn't read the book til after so that's probably why.

    I wish I could say I loved the Lord of the Rings but I haven't seen it yet. lol.

    thanks for joining in TMST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, me too! I can't stand the way Elena never gives Damon a chance. He's DAMON, he deserves it ;S
      The Lord of the Rings is awesome. One of the best trilogies I've ever seen. You'd love it <3

      Delete
  3. I nearly always prefer the book to the movie, but I do enjoy watching movie adaptations too. :)

    ReplyDelete